Opening hours are 10:30 - 18:00, Closed on Thursday and Sunday.
Our typical turnaround time is 6-8 weeks.
Estimates are FREE (house calls will be charged)
All FULL restorations/servicing will come with a two-year warranty on the work undertaken by us. We provide free advice.
Clock repairs are undertaken in the shop's workshop on our premises by one of our BHI qualified expert clock repairers.
FULL SERVICE: This includes (where needed) the following; new bearings, mainsprings, suspension spring; refacing of the pallets; new taper pins; new gut lines (if applicable); oiling; lightly damaged gears will be repaired (to a maximum of 3 teeth); damaged pivots will be refinished and cleaned. All the above is covered by our two-year warranty.
NOT INCLUDED IN THE COST OF A SERVICE: Case/dial restorations; replacement glasses or gears; broken pivots or parts that may be missing from the clock.
REGULATION: We will regulate your clock in the shop, but there may be a small amount of adjustment necessary when the clock is in place in your home. You will be provided with instructions on the rear of your guarantee, regarding this adjustment, which may be necessary upon the change of the seasons.
CLEANING: We clean our clocks by hand, using tried and tested age old techniques; soaking the clock parts in a mild horological approved cleaner and then brushing each part by hand. Each part is then inspected for damage and wear. The parts are then rinsed in a degreaser and dried using Maizorb (a modern replacement for sawdust). Polishing mops and ultrasonic machines are never used at any stage, as both are bad for clocks in the long run.
OLD PARTS: We have a large store of old clock parts that we have accumulated over some 30 odd years, enabling us to restore even the oldest of clocks.
REPLACEMENT PARTS: The machine shop is fully equipped to hand-make replacement gears/bearings or most other missing parts for your clock's restoration. This incurs an additional charge.
DIAL RESTORATION: This service is off-site and the dial will be couriered to our dial restorer's workshop.
CASE RESTORATION: This service is also off-site. The case only will be picked up by the cabinet maker himself. He is able to make/replace any missing parts. He can re-veneer and polish your clock to match its original finish.
GILDING: If your carriage clock or ormolu case needs re-gilding, then please ask about this at the time of booking in.
PART JOBS: These are given consideration on an individual basis, but we will only cover the part fixed or supplied. We will not provide a warranty on this work.
SECURITY: The workshop is alarmed with ADT, and is constantly monitored. We are fully insured for fire, accidental damage and theft. We have endeavoured to cover every eventuality for your full peace of mind.
CLOCKS WE SPECIALISE IN:
- Longcase clocks (Grandfather, grandmother and granddaughter), English, French, Dutch and German made
- Carriage clocks (Striking / repeating / grand & petite sonnerie)
- Lantern clocks (English and Dutch made)
- Bracket clocks (Striking / musical /chiming / with automatons)
- Dial clocks (Railway / ex-GPO / Act of Parliament)
- Ship's chronometers / box / deck clocks
- French mantel clocks
- Vienna regulators
- Atmos clocks made by Jaeger le-Coultre
CLOCKS WE WILL CONSIDER REPAIR ON:
- Electric clocks
- Master clocks
- Small public clocks
- Flick clocks / Ticket clocks
- 20th Century mechanical clocks
- Cuckoo clocks
- Anniversary / 400 day clock (NOT BATTERY TYPE)
- Quartz clocks (movement replacement only)
- GOOD QUALITY Swiss alarm clocks
At this time, we are unwilling to work on pin pallet clocks, such as basic alarm clocks, and most 30 hour, spring driven clocks.
LUMINOUS PAINT: If your clock has luminous paint, you should be made aware that it may be radioactive. We have a Geiger counter in our workshop, and please do not be offended if we return your clock rather sharpish on the discovery of such luminous paint. If you have a Pre-1970s clock with luminous paint, and you wish to have it tested, please feel free to bring it along to the workshop.
HOUSE VISITS: We appreciate that some clocks cannot easily be moved, so we provide a call out service with a qualified clock maker for visiting your Grandfather clock (Longcase clock) or regulator.
- Charge: The average local cost is between £30-£60.
- Times: Most of our local callouts are undertaken on weekday mornings between 9.30-10 AM. Less local are normally carried out in the late Afternoon or early evening
- Dates and availability: Dates are limited and our diary gets full very quickly. Remember to make your appointment as soon as possible. The average waiting time is 1-2 weeks and the run up to Christmas get booked very quickly. Please take this in to account when booking a visit.
POST CODES COVERED:
Mornings: EN1 EN2 EN4 EN5 N11 N12 N13 N14 N20 N21 WD6
Late afternoons/early evenings: WD23 WD7 AL1 AL2 AL3 AL4 AL7 AL8 AL9 AL10 EN3 EN6 NW4 NW7 NW9 N9 N17 N18
- If you are housebound and you would like your mantle/wall clock picked up, we can still help you. We will send one of our retail staff out to pick up your clock at an agreed time and day. (There may be a small charge for this service, depending on availability of staff)
- Out of our preferred area? We may be still able to help, just give us a call: 02084498067